Monday, February 28, 2011

The Flaws in Our Characters


Okay, so we all have them. Character flaws. Maybe it's jealousy or envy, covetousness or greed. Maybe it's pride or a total disregard for the feelings and well being of others. Maybe it's too much ambition, or maybe a complete lack thereof. At any rate, everyone has their own imperfections. And I'm about to ANNOUNCE one of mine:


***drum roll,please***


(are you ready?...)


(it's almost here)


(Is lack of patience your imperfection?) :)


Ok, here goes...I am terrible at finishing things! Whew! I said it. I admitted it. I OWN it in the words of Dr. Phil. I'm like the Hare in the Tortoise and the Hare. New idea--I'm gung ho and ready to jump on board. Then, partway through the journey I get tired, or find myself becoming distracted; then, things just kind of fizzle out.


So, I have decided that I don't want to be this way and I am taking a page from Benjamin Franklin. At the age of 20, Benjamin Franklin decided that he wasn't too happy with his character. He came up with 4 over-reaching resolutions. He resolved to:



  1. Be more frugal so that he could pay his debts and obligations

  2. Be honest and sincere in every "word and action"

  3. Be industrious in any labor or business he was a part of, and

  4. He vowed "to speak ill of no man whatever, not even in a manner of truth" and "to speak all the good I know of everybody"

Pretty nice Resolution list, right? But, Mr. Franklin didn't stop there. He came up with 13 virtues that fell under the umbrella of his resolutions. These were temperance (lost some of you, there! ha! ), silence (okay, now you're all gone. Just kidding!), order, resolution, frugality, industry, sincerity, justice, moderation, cleanliness, tranquility, chastity, and humility. He made a chart and practiced each virtue steadfastly for a week at a time. At the end of a week, he evaluated how he had progressed in mastering that virtue. After thirteen weeks had passed, he started all over again. This was a practice that he performed throughout his life.


What an inspiration! So, my goal is to finish things that I start. I'm sure I have an inner tortoise just bursting to be set free...






No comments:

Post a Comment