Thursday, February 10, 2011

Thoughts on Turning 34

I've always had a thing for numbers. I remember a lot of birthdays--not exactly good at getting cards sent out on time--but I remember when many of them will occur. Growing up a few numbers really seemed special. I remember the number 5--probably because that was when I started school. The first year that I can recall knowing is 1982 (once again probably due to school). I remember when I first moved and attended Brookwood Elementary. My brother, sister, and I rode bus 34. This wasn't difficult to remember because it happened to be my mother's age at the time. Now the years have flown by and I stand at the doorway to 34.

My favorite numbers are odd numbers--although I really like the even number 2, as well. I have a theory that seems to prove true most of the time. Take a moment and think about your favorite number. Is it odd or even? Is your birthdate odd or even? I think most of the time those born on odd days like odd numbers and vice versa.

I always looked forward to the traditional "big" birthdays. 5 to start school; 8 to be baptized; 12 to finally get to wear make-up; 16 to date; 18 to graduate. To this list of special numbers I always added 29 and 33. Don't know why, exactly; they just seemed elegant in some way. Well, those ages are all about to be accomplished. It is bittersweet--growing up. Time passes and the inevitable happens. I think it is natural to look back and try to see what one has really accomplished in the time given on this world.

I am blessed to have my 6 beautiful, bright children. I am able to feel old and young at once. Old--because some days I am just TIRED! Young--because I have the amazing privilege of seeing everything for the first time, again, through their eyes. Having children, nurturing children, teaching children, being the nurse/chauffeur/teacher/referee/counselor/maid/cook/laundress/etc. can seem like an overwhelming task at times. The days sometimes seem so long. The years, though, fly by. I find myself holding my one year old and thinking back not too long ago when my eldest was his age. I look into their eyes--open, and innocent, and full of love--and I see their potential. I think this is God's way of helping us to know how he feels about each of us. We aren't perfect, we make mistakes, we try to improve--and we grow wiser with our experiences.

So, as I grow another year older, I look back at my life and I smile at my accomplishments thusfar. And, most of the time, they smile right back at me.

No comments:

Post a Comment