Sunday, September 11, 2011

Thoughts on Austin

Yummy Green Mesquite BBQ, fortuitous meetings with millionaire ranchers, a truly eclectic mix of characters--all coalescing to form a great experience in our short trip to Austin, Texas. Texas fans are nice, the stadium is huge, and most of the girls wear cowgirl boots with their skirts. I've always loved boots, and this may be the first time I've gotten a yearning to buy a pair of western style (but they were really cute!).

We packed light and so I only had flip flops to wear (they were the "dressy" pair, with the fake, transparent, gold colored accents, hehehe). In hindsight, not the best pair of shoes to hike the 2.5 mile distance to the game (which, incidentally, turned into a 4 mile trek). However, in addition to my bruised feet, I met some very interesting individuals on my solo trek to the stadium.

There were the drunk guys--one who, when I asked directions to the stadium simply stared and said, "you have sweet blue eyes"...HA! Can you say "beer goggles"? This isn't the first time a drunk guy has commented on my eyes. I've decided I'm not picky, though, and I'll take whatever complement I get. :) There were the drunk girls who asked us to beat Texas because they were Aggie fans and couldn't stand the Longhorns. There was the incredibly wealthy--and incredibly unpretentious--ranchers who gave me their phone numbers in case my grandfather (who lives in east Texas) needed help getting away from the wildfires.

Austin is filled with metrocycles--which are rickshaw type vehicles pulled by bicycle. We fortunately snagged one on the way home from the game--saving my already sore feet. We rode through the downtown and I have to say I was pretty floored with the night life. It's not my cup of tea--I'm more a bakery/hot chocolate in the morning kind of girl--but it was pretty fascinating to see so many different people visiting so many different nightspots.

All in all a wonderful weekend and Austin definitely rates as worth at least one more trip! Next time, though, I'll wear more sensible shoes. ;)

1 comment:

  1. That sounds like a fun trip. How many different people you got to converse with! I would love to visit Austin. I have a dream I will someday be there during the SXSW festival.

    ReplyDelete