Sunday, April 21, 2013

My Television Heroine


 It is rare to find a character on modern day television that is truly admirable.  A person that--although not perfect--embodies many of the qualities that I would like to cultivate in myself.  In fact, I had to go way back to the mid-80's to early 90's to find one I love pretty much everything about.  The character that I have found closest to my ideal is that of JB Fletcher, played by the marvelous Angela Lansbury.
     I remember spending Sunday afternoons at my grandmother's house.  We would inevitably stay until it was late, and we would all watch "Murder, She Wrote" together.  Thanks to syndication and DVD's, I can now watch JB Fletcher in action just about any time I want.  Why do I love Jessica Beatrice Fletcher so much?  Let me count the ways...

--Jessica is a widow.  At the beginning of the show we learn that she has lost the love of her life, Frank Fletcher.  She is relatively young to have lost her husband--only in her early to mid-50's.  Throughout the show, we are treated to tender reflections and bittersweet memories of her beloved that she shares with the viewers.  The depth and sincerity of their affection is illustrated through 12 seasons of "Murder, She Wrote".  We are given glimpses here and there that combine to form a picture of a vibrant, healthy, and happy love.

--Jessica and Frank Fletcher were never blessed with children of their own.  This fact is mentioned with a sense of resignation tinged with lingering sorrow.  Having several children of my own, I cannot imagine what struggling with infertility must have been like.  I am sure that this unimaginable pain helped to form the strength of character that she possesses.  Although she never had children of her own, she has several nieces and nephews who love her dearly.  This love, we can assume, didn't just happen. Years of kindnesses and caring thoughts and actions were needed to develop these relationships and deep trusts.

--Jessica is a retired English teacher.  If I had to work outside of the home,  I think a high school English teacher would top my list.  Several of the people that I admire most were my teachers when I was in High School.  (Okay, I would choose to be an English teacher or a History teacher.  Definitely my two favorite subjects in school.)  After her retirement and the death of her husband, Jessica embarked on a new phase of her life.  Bored with the current offerings for a recent widow, she sat down and wrote a book.  Not just any sort of book, but a murder mystery.  I would love to write a novel.  I've started several, but I have a difficult time "enduring to the end."  When I finally reach that milestone, I will definitely celebrate.  Murder mystery isn't my genre, and I would be very satisfied having written a sweet romance or a thrilling paranormal romance.  In my opinion, a book has got to have at least a little bit of kissing.  ;)

--Jessica lives in quiet Cabot Cove, Maine.  Here the people know each other and the natural scenery stuns at every turn.  In reality,  MSW was filmed in Montecido, CA.  I've never really desired to move to California, but the picturesque nature of the area could surely tempt me.  There are crashing waves and rocky shores, a lighthouse and small businesses, and the most adorable Victorian cottage that was Jessica and Frank's home for many years.  She still lives in that little cottage, tending her flower beds and typing her next manuscript.  (I've read that the cottage depicted as her's is now a Bed and Breakfast.  It's on the bucket list, people.)  However if Cabot Cove were truly a reality, it would have a murder rate that is 50 times that of Honduras--the leading murder capital of the world (per capita).

--Jessica is a very active woman.  Many of the episodes show Jessica jogging in the morning.  One day that will be me.  ;)  She rises early and starts her days productively.  She also rides her cute cruising bicycle around town.  (She never learned to drive.)  I really admire a woman who values her health--and Jessica certainly does.

--Jessica is always dressed well, including hair and make up.  Sometimes I think "of course she can do that, she has no husband or children who need her to take care of them."  Then of course I play devil's advocate with myself, "Laura, if you had no children or husband to take care of, would YOU fix your hair and make up every day?"  I'm going to pretend that I would--just like Jessica.

--Jessica is herself in every situation.  She is kind--but not condescending--to those who are poorer or less educated or of a perceived lesser social station than herself.  She is also well-spoken and elegant when conversing with everyone from officials of the State Department to Foreign Dignitaries, famous actors to acclaimed artists, multi-millionaires to well known celebrities.  I like a woman who evaluates people based on their character, and not fame or fortune or family name, and treats them thusly. 

--Although Jessica still lives in her adorable and modest home, she travels in style.  She flies first class, stays in beautiful hotels, and dines in elegant restaurants.  She visits cities and countries far and near, meets the most interesting people, and makes good friends and confidants wherever she goes. I do admire a person who doesn't just sit on their wealth, but enjoys the comforts and delights life (and money) can offer.  

--JB Fletcher is one smart lady.  She has a vast base of knowledge to draw on and, added to her keen observations, uses her wits to solve the inevitable crimes she encounters.  Not only is she smart, she is very brave.  Dark and spooky secret passageway revealed?  Just let her grab her flashlight and she will explore it alone.  Sneaky, scary, and suspicious character moving silently through the night?  Follow him, of course!  (This, by the way, is so NOT me).  

An added benefit of watching MSW is seeing so many actors and actresses guest starring.  There is Jerry Orbach, Courteney Cox, Tom Bosley, George Clooney, the guy from Unsolved Mysteries, "Joanie" from "Happy Days", Joaquin Phoenix, and many many more.  

These are just a few of the qualities that drive my deep admiration for the character of Jessica Beatrice Fletcher.  Maybe one day I will be able to claim a few of these characteristics for myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment