Sunday, May 8, 2011

On Mothers


Mothers hold their children's hands for a short while, but their hearts forever--Author Unknown


Mother's Day means more to me now than ever. My first experiences with Mother's Day were those as a child. I made my mother cards featuring my hand prints as flowers or butterflies. I sang "Mother, I Love You" with the other children during Sacrament Meeting. I gave her kisses and hugs and participated in the general festive spirit.

As I got older, I truly began to appreciate all that she had sacrificed for me. I bought her "nicer" gifts, though, I am sure, not as meaningful or as precious to her as those earlier gifts from the heart. Then, on March 6, 2000--I became a mother with the birth of my son, Adam. Mother's Day took on a new meaning then. I realized that although I appreciated my mother and the many, many things she did for me, I truly did not understand the extent of her sacrifices. The pregnancy, labor and delivery were difficult things; but being a mother is much more than giving birth to a baby. There are sicknesses, accidents, arguments, dirty clothes, wet sheets, diseases, scraped knees, vaccinations, hurt feelings, broken dishes, spilled tears, tracked dirt, and broken hearts. A mother soothes all of these bumps in life. Her gentle touch and kind word acts as a salve to an injured spirit and provides a soft place to fall.

I have been blessed with six wonderful children. Now it is my turn to receive these precious handmade gifts. I get sweet coupons for promised services, pictures drawn by budding artists, and little flowers plucked from outside. At times like this, when I can feel their love so strongly and see it reflected so clearly in their eyes I feel the luckiest of women.

My heart hurts for those women who yearn to be mothers and haven't gotten to have a child. Yet, my heart knows that ALL women can mother. Many women who haven't been blessed with children of their own act as mothers to the children around them. Their nurturing spirits can bless the lives of all the children they come into contact with.

So, even though I might complain about something my children may have said or done, I am so grateful for the privilege of being their mother. I am honored to have their special spirits in our family. I am blessed to hear their laughter and see their goodness. Every stretch mark, every pound, every sleepless night is WORTH IT!

The sweetest sounds to mortals given
Are heard in Mother, Home, and Heaven.
~William Goldsmith Brown

No comments:

Post a Comment