Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Thoughts on Working Out


There are plenty of things I enjoy doing. Dancing, listening to good music, reading fun books, watching my children discover the unexpected, are all things that bring joy into my life. Then, there is working out. Definitely not one of my favorite things! However, as I am trying so hard to get in shape (realizing that there is no point in my life that it will be any easier than now), I have found a grin and bear it attitude helps. So, two or three times a week I meet with Lisa. She is a personal trainer and her knowledge of what exercises to do, how many sets and repetitions, and the proper body alignment to do the exercises correctly, has been invaluable. So, I do weights a few days a week and I ride the exercise bike about six days a week for an hour. I have begun to see results and it is heartening.


I am also about to start the Tupler technique. It is a series of exercises that over eighteen weeks help to close the diastises. The is the opening between the vertical abdominal muscles that occurs from the forceful expansion of the abdomen during pregnancy. After the baby is born, most times these muscles do not fit so closely together anymore. The result is the "mummy tummy". Instead of the tight abdominal muscles holding the internal organs in, all that is doing that job is thin, unsupportive connective tissue. This allows the internal organs to protrude and cause a "poochy" stomach--even if you are thin and have very little body fat. So, I hope to do these exercises faithfully while I am losing weight the traditional way.

No comments:

Post a Comment