Saturday, April 23, 2011

Aprons! Aprons! Aprons!


I like collecting things: Christmas ornaments, jewelry, dishes, vases, nightgowns, books, and APRONS!!! My mother wore aprons when I was growing up. She wore them while cleaning and cooking, and especially when baking. So many of my childhood memories involve the wonderful aromas of baking bread, homemade chocolate chip cookies, or a turkey roasting in the oven. My mother would be in the kitchen, preparing something lovely for us to enjoy. I recall in particular a long half-apron. It was white and trimmed with a thick eyelet lace. A cheerful yellow ribbon was threaded around it. I LOVED that apron! I remember a burgundy apron--sturdy and serviceable. I remember a holiday apron that added a real sense of "home" to our celebrations.

I think the value of aprons today lies not only in the protection of our clothes, but in tying us gratefully to the past. When I put an apron on, I feel a connection with the millions of homemakers before me who put on this soft armor every morning. I think of tired hands using the apron to dry them; I think of a fine dusting of flour from the preparation of a loaf of bread that would later be enjoyed with hand-churned butter and honey; I imagine the countless children whose tears were dried on an apron as their mothers comforted them. I also think of the loads of washing that were saved by this simple article of clothing.

Aprons are precious to me. I love the fabrics, the designs, the colors, the craftsmanship. I love the histories that aprons represent. My collection is currently rather small (I only have 40-50 presently). But, I get great enjoyment from them and from anticipating my next addition.

Aprons are a sentimental tie to our past. I am so glad that when my children are grown they will remember their mother wearing an apron. Perhaps one day, when I am gone, an apron I wore will bring a pleasant memory of home and love.

No comments:

Post a Comment