Monday, April 4, 2011

What's For DInner?

Part of the reason I started this blog was to use it as a journal. Because it is MY journal, I can write about whatever subject pleases me at the time. Well, the subject that pleases me at this time is WHAT WE HAD FOR DINNER!!!

My husband teases me if I put our culinary experiences on Facebook--so, I am going to use this forum to express this very important part of my day. After all, as the homemaker in the family, planning, preparing, and serving delicious meals falls under my jurisdiction. It is an important part of my "job".

For dinner tonight, we had barbeque chicken, mashed potatoes, green beans, and Easter cookies (sugar and chocolate chip) for dessert!

It is Monday night, which means it's FHE. This stands for Family Home Evening.

In 1915, Joseph Fielding Smith, then Prophet of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, with his counselors, instituted Family Home Evening (FHE). He urged families to get together once a week, and for parents to instruct their children in the word of God. He said that it was a time for families to "spend an hour or more together in a devotional way—in the singing of hymns, songs, prayer, reading of the Scriptures and other good books, instrumental music, family topics, and specific instructions on the principles of the Gospel and on the ethical problems of life, as well as the duties and obligations of children to parents, the home, the Church, society and the nation." Chapter 39: Strengthening Families in Family Home Evenings," Teachings of Presidents of the Church: JosephF. Smith, (1998)


This is a most cherished family tradition. Most FHE's involve a lesson. Some are just "fun nights" like playing games or going to see a movie. I have a testimony that the regular practice of Family Home Evening helps strengthen family bonds, as well as aid in increasing our faith in God. It is a wonderful program that I benefitted from as I was growing up. I am so happy to be able to share this blessing with our children.

No comments:

Post a Comment