Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Belly Dance!!!


Yesterday I began to learn the art of belly dance! I am so happy to be learning this beautiful style of dance. Our instructor, Margo, is fantastic. She teaches a fun, feminine, wholesome dance style. As a student of Lebanese Folk Dance, she expressed her dismay at how many Western peoples view belly dance. It was not designed to be an entertainment for men (as many in our culture mistakenly believe); but a celebration of the female form primarily practiced with and for other women.

The biggest difference between the dancing we are accustomed to and Belly Dance is the isolation of body parts. When we dance we often move many parts of our body at once. Not so with belly dance. Margo compared it with wearing a black top and white pants--the contrast allows focus on individual parts as opposed to the whole. So, when the hips are moving the upper body is held still. When the upper body is moving the lower body is held still. And, hardest of all, when the rib cage is in motion the shoulders as well as the hips are held still. This is much harder to do than it sounds!

I have found my ability to isolate leaves a lot to be desired. But, I also know as I practice and continue to devote time and energy to this endeavor I will be able to master it.

No comments:

Post a Comment