Thursday, April 14, 2011

Summer Travels


I have always wanted to travel. By U.S. standards, I have been a few places. I have visited 37 of the 50 states--lacking only the northeast, Oregon, and Alaska. I have been to Mexico several times, visited Canada, stayed a month in Guatemala, and visited Brasil twice for a total time of two and a half months. I have enjoyed meeting new people, eating exotic (to me) food, and seeing the beauty of the earth. I am so excited, now, to be planning our upcoming trip to Europe.

My husband has a work related conference in Switzerland. We will be spending 4 days in that beautiful country, then traveling south to Italy to spend 4/5 days in lovely Italy. I have been wanting to visit Italy for over 15 years. As a high school student, our school took a week and a half long trip to Italy. The cost was $1400 and I did not have the money to attend. I so longed to go and was very sad when I was unable to participate. Now, my time has come! I believe I will actually really enjoy it more now. My culinary senses have expanded, my appreciation for art and architecture has blossomed, and I have my husband to share it all with!

I cannot wait to see the beautiful snow covered Alps, taste the exquisite chocolate, and see the picturesque villages that inspired Heidi. I am anxiously awaiting to taste the bounty of Tuscany, see the lovely old buildings, and see (in person!) Michelangelo's David. Not in an art book, or on a poster--but in the flesh (or stone--:) ).

So much of the enjoyment of traveling is in the anticipation--and I am truly "flying on the wings of anticipation" in preparing for this experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment